Lost Art Salon is a San Francisco-based gallery that specializes in the rediscovery of historically significant artists and the curation of fine art collections reflecting the major styles and movements of the Modern Era. Open to the public, the gallerys showroom offers over 5,000 paintings, drawings, prints, photographs and objects from the late 19th Century through the present, with a strong emphasis on 20th Century Modernism.
Esther was born Aug. 16, 1916, in Franklin, to Louis O. and Grace (Griffin) Johnson.
Esther was married to the painter David Landis (b.1918-1983) and they occasionally collaborated on the designs of her ceramics.
After attending John Herron Art Institute in Indianapolis, she studied art at the University of Iowa, Iowa City, obtaining a bachelor of arts degree in 1940 and a master’s degree in 1941. During the war years, she worked in drafting at Curtis Wright, a manufacturer of cargo planes.
She began teaching art in the Chicago public school system in 1951. Esther was a prolific, talented studio ceramicist, who with her husband was active in the first art fairs in Old Town Chicago. Her artwork was exhibited at juried shows nationally and in a traveling Smithsonian display of American craft.
In 1972 Esther and David moved from Chicago to the San Francisco Bay Area where they set-up the Landis Studio.
Examples of Esther's ceramic work are in the permanent collection of the Johnson County Museum of History in Indiana.