This 1943 gouache and ink on paper construction scene is by Bay Area painter, printmaker, and designer Calvin Anderson (b. 1925). He studied at CCAC and Art Center College in the 1940s and worked as a commercial art director in San Francisco for 40 years. Anderson created graphics for the SF Ballet for 20 years, and two of his poster designs are in the permanent collection at SFMOMA. Anderson taught Design at SFAI in the 1960s. He was a prolific printmaker in the 1990s-2000s, creating hundreds of minimal, abstract compositions drawing from his love of Modernism and design.